Known to generations of South Africans as ‘Woolies’, Woolworths is the only retailer of its kind in the country, offering fashion, food, beauty and homeware under its own brand name, as well as some carefully selected, well-known brands including Country Road and Trenery. As our main partner, Woolworths donates more than R1.5 million every month on behalf of customers to schools and charitable organisations. Woolworths also offers a range of financial services in partnership with Absa Bank.
Since its founding in 1931, Woolworths has earned its unique position in the South African landscape by remaining true to its core values of quality, integrity, style, innovation and sustainability and to its promise of offering high quality and exceptional value, and by constantly working to make ‘the difference’ for its customers every day.
- They are the first South African retailer to sponsor the Organic Exchange to drive South Africa’s first commercial organic cotton crop
- They send over 700 tons of plastic clothes hangers for recycling each year
- Almost a third of our in-store signage is made of recycled materials and new stores use new shelving made from 90% recycled paper and 10% begasse from sugar cane
- Woolworths donates over R250m of surplus food and clothing to needy charities each year
- Their stores have energy efficient light fixtures and automated lighting systems to cut their electricity consumption and carbon footprint
- They’re the only retailer that’s part of the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) Water Neutral Scheme, which means we balance the water we use with projects to supply fresh, clean water into the environment
- They’re trailling two new, environmentally refrigeration technologies – one in our stores and another in some of the trucks that deliver our food to our stores
- They transport our fresh foods in plastic crates so there are no cardboard boxes to throw away – we’ve been doing this since 1967
- Established the EWT Rhino Fund in conjunction with MyPlanet and the Endangered Wildlife Trust to help save our rhinos.
When you shop at Woolworths, remember to swipe your blue card before your purchase items are rung up.
Help us to make a difference at the retailer thats offers you the difference.