The MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet fundraising programme is one of South Africa’s biggest community programmes. We raise funds for schools, charities and environmental organisations through a card system that allows supporters to raise funds for their beneficiary (school or charity) every time they shop at our partner stores. Partners make a contribution, on behalf of the supporter/cardholder, towards the beneficiary they have selected.
The system allows cardholders to make a difference to a worthy cause without it costing them a cent! The MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet programme raises more than R4 million per month for the schools, charities, animal welfare and environmental organisations it supports.
How does MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet work?
More than 700 000 South Africans carry MySchool cards.
- Supporters apply for a free MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet card and select up to 3 schools and/or charities as their beneficiary/ies.
- When they purchase items from participating retailers they swipe the card with the purchase.
- A percentage of their transaction is then allocated to their beneficiary.
The partner stores pay the contribution on behalf of the cardholder. All these transactions are recorded and a statement is sent to individual supporters on a monthly basis. The supporter card is not a credit or debit card but simply tracks transactions and funds raised.
Support a school or your favourite cause
You have the option to choose to support one of over 9000 schools and over 360 charities and environmental concerns.
MySchool beneficiaries: there are over 9 000 schools registered with MySchool. You can choose to support your local school. If you do not have a particular school you’d like to support, you might want to consider the Thuso Fund, which supports under-resourced schools across South Africa.
MyVillage beneficiaries: charities that provide upliftment to communities and individuals in various ways other than the education school environment, such as SOS Children’s Villages, CHOC, Red Cross, Operation Smile. These villages actively seek to improve the lives of our fellow men, women and children. To view a list of our villages, click here.
MyPlanet beneficiaries: organisations that focus on the improvement and protection of the environment and animals, such as The Society of Animals in Distress, Endangered Wildlife Trust, SPCA, EWT Rhino Fund and Birdlife SA. To view a list of our planets, click here.
If you do not have a particular charity you’d like to support, you might want to consider the Thuso Fund, which supports under-resourced schools, charities and animal protection organisations.
Where can I swipe my MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet card?
The success of the programme depends on the number of times you swipe your card. Supporters can use their cards at a range of national, regional and local retail partners on the MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet system. Some of the national partners include
- Engen Quickshops,
- Engen Foodstops,
- Tafelberg Furnishers,
- Power24 pre-paid electricity
- Altech Netstar and many more.
To view a more comprehensive list of local business partners click here.
Benefits of being a cardholder
- You can raise funds for your favourite school or charity without costing you a cent.
- You can use one card at many different stores, not just one.
- Exclusive discounts and special offers for cardholders. For example, you are automatically part of WRewards from Woolworths (which includes up to 20% instant savings on over 1000 items in their stores plus other tiered benefits), you get R50 off every GetAhead or MathPro educational software item that you buy, and you get exclusive discounts on vehicle recovery from Altech Netstar.
- You will receive a monthly email statement showing exactly how much your beneficiary has raised.
Once you have received your supporter card, you can manage and change your support as follows:
- Support your chosen beneficiary school or charity
- Change your support to another beneficiary or
- Split your support between two or three beneficiaries
It’s so convenient! When a child leave schools and the parents want to start supporting a charity, they can change beneficiaries without the hassle of getting a new card. You have the option to choose to support one of over 9000 schools and over 360 charities and environmental concerns.
How to become a supporter
In order to become a supporter, you need to be registered with MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet and select a school or charity to support. You can register online, or get a card at your local Woolworths store. It’s quick and easy!
Apply for a MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet Card